Thursday, August 10, 2006

More from the record setting day.

I was told that I wouldn’t be teaching my normal class that day because they had scheduled me to teach Student X again.

MrTeacher: ‘Why?’
Young Secretary: ‘Because Pompous Ponce normally has one hour of translation with them and I don’t think they want to do that right before school ends.’
*I didn’t even begin to look for logic in that ‘explanation’*
MrT: ‘Right, then you need to call the student that will be giving an oral presentation that day and tell her she has to do it tomorrow. I need that time!’
YS: ‘Go ask PP if you can have it.’

At this point I was bewildered. Why should I have to ask the teacher that will be taking over a class for me that I didn’t want them to take over for permission to take back a class that was rightfully mine, just because the secretary didn’t have the brains to think things through?

*I find PP*

MrT: ‘PP, I need that class you’re supposed to be taking over for me because a student has to give a presentation that day.’
PP: ‘That’s fine. You can have the last 1/3 of it. I’m going to watch a movie with them.’
*I was puzzled but didn’t say anything to him about that*

So, I went back to the office and had the schedule changed to reflect the new ‘change’.

I still don’t understand the logic of it. Many teachers watch movies with their students the last couple of weeks of school (after exams have finished), but I keep mine working by having them do presentations and things like that to keep them learning.