Tuesday, December 14, 2004

I'll never learn

(Alternate title: No good deed goes unpunished part #526)

Tuesdays are my busiest days, so I went back to work today. I could have easily stayed out a few more days, but my sore throat was feeling a bit better (though not 100%). Also, I figured it'd be a good thing to do so that they didn't have to run around and find subs for the six classes I had today.

I taught my 7h30 class this morning and headed into the office at 9h to put the log book back, when Secretary from Hell came up to me and said, 'I have another student for you. She can come either at 17h on Friday or 19h10 on Wednesday.' Of course, she didn't bother saying, 'Are you feeling better?' My reply was, 'Sure, send her to the airport on Friday and I'll be glad to teach her.' I also told her that my first class was at 8h30 tomorrow and I didn't want to work until 20h40, not to mention the fact that I'm ill. Here's how the conversation continued:

SfH: You have to teach her at 19h10 on Wednesday. I don't have any other teachers available.

I then looked at the schedule and saw that Secret Smoker only has one class on Wednesdays and that it does not conflict with time SfH had told me.

MrT: Have Secret Smoker do it.
SfH: She has a lot of hours this week. You had extra time off. Plus, you've taught her before.' [Once back in August}

Right, extra time off due to being ill.

MrT: (still in a calm tone of voice): 'I also have a lot of hours this week. I don't want to do it.'
SfH: 'You have to.'
MrT: 'Sorry, I don't want to.' and walked out of the office.

I suppose Bossman will talk to me about this when I get back to work in about 20 minutes.

**** Update 19h30 ****

I went back to find a white card on my timetable over the card that said I had to teach the above-mentioned student. It turns out that SfH didn't care what I thought or said, she still scheduled me to teach the student but when she called the student to give her the time of the lesson, she found out that the student has been on holiday and won't be back til 10 January! I left the card in my timetable so I can have BM take it out tomorrow.

More stupidity happened when I was in the office, but I can't be bothered to think about it right now. Look for another post tomorrow.