Tuesday, October 12, 2004

A real businessman?

At the beginning of the year, our school got a 12-month contract to teach six weekly in-company classes at a large utility company in our city. I teach four of the classes, Tall Colleague teaches the fifth and New Girl teaches the final one.

Now that the end of the year is approaching, a normal businessman would be out there trying to renew the contract. Has Bossman done that? No. Until I mentioned it today, it hadn't even occurred to him that they might want to continue. I knew this would happen, because he's done it before - and will probably do it again. His attitude is appears to be 'If they want to continue, they'll tell me.' It's a wonder our school still exists!

When I asked him about it, he replied that he'd like to keep the contract, if there's interest. Over the past few months, I have frequently told BM about my students' progress (10 will be taking Cambridge exams in December) and enthusiasm about our classes. Apparently that was all a waste of breath, so I told AGAIN that my students were keen to continue their lessons.

He said he'd make an appointment with the personal director of the company next week to see about renewing it.

I should start charging commission.