Thursday, May 13, 2004

What about me?

Warning…whiney post. Scroll by if you don't want to read it.

Our school has a contract for six classes with a large company in my city. I teach four of them, Tall Colleague teaches one and Incompetent Colleague teaches one. My four classes are (very advanced) business exam preparation classes (BEC Higher for those of you who know the Cambridge exams), TC's is Pre-Intermediate and IC's is Elementary level. Mine involves a lot of unpaid time, preparation, as well as correcting quizzes, tests and essays and theirs don’t. They prepare their lessons, teach a bit of grammar and then do things like play games with the students, teach them how to check into hotels, order food in restaurants, etc, while I’m explaining things like mergers and acquisitions, economies of scale, etc.

Today, I found out that that company’s newsletter has just done a profile of an English teacher from our school, TC. I told him that I had heard about it and was happy for him, which I am, but then started wondering why they chose him instead of me. After all, I’m the one who does the most (paid and unpaid) work for that company.

I thought of apologising for making such a self-absorbed post, but I'm not going to. It's my blog, and I'll whine if I want to.